Monday, November 7, 2022
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (Pacific Time)
Learn about the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship designed to support both undergraduate and graduate students to study world languages during the academic year. Students must study eligible languages at UCLA at Intermediate level or higher. Students in all disciplines are invited to attend the virtual information session.
Asia Pacific Center (East Asian Studies)
Eligible languages: Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
Center for European and Russian Studies
Eligible languages: Basque, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Yiddish
Center for Near Eastern Studies
Eligible languages: Arabic, Armenian, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish
Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Eligible languages: Indonesian, Filipino/Tagalog, Khmer, Thai and Vietnamese
Latin American Institute
Eligible languages: Nahuatl, Portuguese, and Quechua
- Graduate or undergraduate student at UCLA
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Study an eligible language at intermediate or advanced level at UCLA
- UCLA students who receive FLAS fellowships must be enrolled full time and are required to take one language and one area studies courses for a letter grade at UCLA each quarter.
- Take a before and after oral proficiency examination with a designated instructor.
- Submit brief quarterly reports on their progress and one final end-of-the year online report.
- Report to the U.S. Department of Education every two years for eight years after graduation on the recipient’s occupation and the extent to which the FLAS language is being used.
Academic Year 2023-2024 FLAS Fellowships are awarded for the academic year and provide a total stipend of $20,000 for UCLA graduate students and cover tuition and fees up to $18,000. Academic Year FLAS awards may be used for dissertation research for students at the advanced level of language proficiency, but this must be approved in advance. UCLA undergraduate recipients receive stipend of $5,000 and up to $10,000 for tuition and fees.
To attend this info session, register here.
Sponsor(s): Center for Near Eastern Studies, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Center for European and Russian Studies, Latin American Institute, Asia Pacific Center