Declare the Asian Studies Major


Declaring the Major

Click on the blue link above to request to declare the major. You must have all the major preparation coursework completed (click here to view the major worksheet). For the foreign language requirement, you can declare the major with only the elementary language level completed. Note that students must be in good academic standing (2.0 overall GPA) and have a 2.0 major prep GPA in order to be admitted into the major. All preparation coursework grades must be posted (not in-progress) before submitting the request to declare the major. 


Interested in Switching to Asian Studies?

Students admitted to UCLA with a different major can apply to switch into Asian Studies. Please contact our Advising Office for individual details.


Interested in Double Majoring with Asian Studies?

With careful planning, students can elect to double major with Asian Studies and a different major. Please contact our Advising Office to set up an individual appointment to review your academic plan.


Incoming UCLA Students

Incoming freshmen and transfer students may enter UCLA as a Pre-Asian Studies major. Students can be officially changed to Asian Studies once they complete the preparation coursework for the major. 

Incoming Transfer Students:

Transfer students interested in the Asian Studies major should complete as many preparation courses prior to coming to UCLA as possible, leaving only I A STD 1 to be taken at UCLA (typically during their first Fall Quarter unless taken during a prior summer term at UCLA). Please review and UCLA's Admissions page as needed.


Please contact the I A STD Academic Counseling Office if you have any further questions.

To be admitted to the minor, students must:

  • Be in good academic standing (minimum 2.00 GPA overall)
  • Have completed all preparation courses for the minor with a minimum GPA of 2.00 in these courses
  • Have completed 45 units

 Please contact our Academic Advising office to declare the following minors: East Asian Studies, South Asian Studies, or Southeast Asian StudiesStudents may send an email (include your name & ID) to

For students who have exceeded 150 cumulative units, the I A STD department will request approval from the main advising unit before declaring into the minor. If approval is granted, the department will notify students.


Magda Yamamoto, Undergraduate & Graduate Advisor

10256 Bunche Hall

Schedule a Zoom appointment on my calendar here.


Olivia Gonzalez, Undergraduate Advisor

10254 Bunche Hall

Schedule a Zoom appointment on my calendar here.



The International Institute is home to a diverse transfer population, including international, non-traditional, first-generation, and parenting students. Transfer students admitted to UCLA with ANY major are eligible to apply to our majors.


Please make sure you sign up for summer orientation and attend the Departmental counseling session to learn about major requirements and suggested courses. If you are unable to attend orientation, please contact our office at Please note, if you cannot attend orientation, you will be allowed to enroll in classes starting in mid-September.


In addition to reviewing and UCLA's Admissions page, please review our website and familiarize yourself with our programs.

Transfer students should complete as many major preparation courses prior to coming to UCLA as possible, leaving only International & Area Studies 1 to be taken at UCLA during their first Fall Quarter (unless taken during the prior summer term at UCLA). 


Check out our Transfer Student Handbook and let us know if you have questions!

The UCLA Transfer Center connects incoming transfers to the university and provides resources and events to ease the transition to UCLA. Visit the Transfer Center in 128 Kerckhoff Hall or connect with them on Instagram (@bruintransfers) or Facebook (UCLA Transfer Students). Current Transfers are eager to meet you!

Apply to join the Transfer Mentor Program! Each incoming Transfer student will be placed into a group with other incoming transfers and one continuing transfer mentor.


If you hold an F1 visa and/or attended high school where instruction was not in English, the foreign language requirement for the major may be waived. Please check with your major counselor at orientation. 


For any questions about our majors, please contact our Advising Office at or sign-up for an appointment on Olivia's or Magda's calendar. 

Please note: questions about course transferability will only be addressed once transcripts are posted.



Foreign Language Requirement for Asian Studies Major

The Asian Studies Major at UCLA requires students to complete the intermediate level of a foreign language in an Asian language. The intermediate level of a foreign language is equivalent to the completion of the sixth quarter at UCLA (ex. completion of Japanese 6). 

Note: Students minoring in East Asian Studies, South Asian Studies, and Southeast Asian Studies do not have to complete a language requirement.


Acceptable Languages

The Asian Studies Major accepts: Chinese, Filipino, Hindi-Urdu, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Vietnamese. For other language requests, please contact the Asian Studies Advisors. 


You may be exempted from the Foreign Language requirement for the following reasons:

  • Completion of a Language Placement Test. To pass out of the Asian Studies language requirement, you must place into level 100A or higher. Note, if you place into the level 6 of a language, you will still need to enroll in level 6. 
    Placement Tests are offered through the Asian Languages & Cultures Department.
  • AP Test credit can be accepted depending on the AP score. Please contact our Advising Office.
  • International Students from an Asian country may be exempt. Please contact our Advising Office.
  • Students who attended a high school were the primary language of instruction was in an Asian language may be exempt. Please contact our Advising Office. 

When declaring the Asian Studies major, completion of the elementary year of the foreign language is acceptable (i.e. Chinese 3). Completion of the intermediate year of the foreign language must be completed by graduation in order to fulfill all preparation requirements.


Our office is currently closed for in-person advising, however we are open virtually and advisors are available via Zoom and email.  

We strive to provide holistic and comprehensive support to our students through one-on-one advising, workshops, and events that focus on academic and professional planning, exploration of research, internship opportunities, and experiences abroad. 

Magda Yamamoto

Graduate & Undergraduate Counselor

Magda's Appointments

Olivia Gonzalez

Undergraduate Counselor

Olivia's Appointments

We can assist you with:

  • Major, pre-major, and minor questions and petitions to declare (I A STD & Global Health)
  • Educational planning and course sequencing
  • Course petitions and substitutions
  • DARS updates for major/minor
  • Enrollment questions for I A STD and Global Health courses
  • Contract courses (I A STD 195CE & 198A/B/C, GH 199)
  • Exploration of research, Departmental Honors, internship/career opportunities, and study abroad
  • Graduation checks

Contact Us

Please include your name and UID in all emails.

Undergraduate Advising:

 Graduate Advising: 

  Make a virtual advising appointment with Magda or Olivia (Email us if you need accommodations for same day or outside office hours appointments)

    Bunche Hall 10256 & 10254**

    (310) 206-6571**

**Please note, our physical office spaces and phone lines are closed until further notice.

Mailing Address:
Academic Counselor
UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
Office of Academic Advising
10256 Bunche Hall, Mail Code 148703
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487

For other questions or concerns, please review the following information:

Refer to your main Counseling Unit for questions about GE/IGETC Requirements, Course Add/Drop Petitions, Degree Plan Contracts, College-specific requirements, Holds, Grad Checks, Academic Probation status, Readmission, etc.

Questions about registration, fees, classes, etc.

Economic & Technological Resources

General Information from UCLA