Alice Belkin Memorial Scholarships are awarded annually to outstanding graduate students of color in the field of international relations, who need financial assistance.
The UCLA Burkle Center for International Relations awards several scholarships each academic year. These scholarships are made possible by a generous gift from Alice Belkin and are intended to support outstanding graduate students of color in need of financial assistance and studying fields and topics related to globalization or international relations.
Successful applicants will receive up to $4,000.
The application period for the 2020-21 academic year has closed. Thank you to all who have applied. The application period for the 2021-22 awards will open in late fall 2021.
Belkin Memorial Scholarships will be granted to qualified graduate applicants who, in addition to outstanding leadership skills and academic achievement, demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must be a student of color, enrolled in a graduate degree program at UCLA.
- Applicants must be studying a field and topics related to globalization or international relations and have research and/or career goals that directly relate to international relations.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 or higher grade point average (cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher must be maintained during the academic year of award).
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Completed Application Form (2 pages - See attachment below). Please write legibly.
- Statement of Interest expressing the applicant's 1) personal background, 2) career goals, and 3) confirming the applicant's eligibility. -- Share who you are, discuss your career goals, and describe the international dimensions of your work or research interests. Recommended statement length is 2 pages, single spaced, 12 pt font.
- Diversity Statement: Tell us more about your background and describe your personal experience with diversity, including how it has impacted you. Recommended length is no more than 1 page, 12 pt font.
- Current Resume or CV
- Official transcript from UCLA (if this is your first year at UCLA, please include an official transcript from prior institutions)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (from professors, mentors and/or employers) - emailed from your recommenders to email@example.com.
- A complete list of other sources of financial support with their amounts (including TA-ships and GSRs) applied for, pending and received for 2019-20 and 2020-21
*If your official transcripts have to be mailed, please use the following mailing address:
Alice Belkin Memorial Scholarship Competition
c/o UCLA Burkle Center for International Relations
11353 Bunche Hall, Box 951487
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1486
All applicants will be notified of their application status at the end of the review process.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For answers to our most frequently asked questions, click here.
PREVIOUS BELKIN SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
For a list of previous Belkin scholarship recipients, click here.