Skip Navigation

African Studies EAP Information

The following will provide you with information regarding EAP coursework when studying abroad.

Why Study Abroad

Learning and living in another country can be life changing, and it will provide you with international experiences that are essential in today’s global world. African Studies Minors are strongly encouraged to study abroad in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Studying abroad will help you develop skills that are critical to your future career.  Consider your value to an employer or a graduate program if you’ve:

  • Participated in a different educational system and gained a new cultural perspective
  • Increased your proficiency in another language
  • Improved your critical thinking skills
  • Expanded your worldview by experiencing another culture firsthand
  • Developed self-confidence and independence
  • Prepared for a career in an internationally competitive world
  • Enhanced résumés and/or applications for graduate school

When to Study Abroad

Study abroad programs are available at all class levels. The particular quarter, semester, summer or year that you study abroad depends on your individual progress in the minor, what coursework you plan to complete abroad, and your immediate plans after graduation. Consult with your minor advisor to determine the best time period for your study abroad experience.

If you are interested in spending a full year abroad, it is generally preferable for you to do so as a junior. However, it is also the case that many students spend the senior year abroad; and semester and summer programs are available at all class levels.

Where to go

The EAP offers intensive language and culture programs, as well as a wide variety of regular host university courses. The best way to choose is to look over the options and consult with your UCLA Education Abroad Program counselor and your minor advisor.

EAP currently offers programs in the following African countries:

The UC Education Abroad Program offers two special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are listed individually with their accompanying grades on your UCLA transcript. The courses are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your minor has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific minor requirements.

EAP Coursework Guidelines for

African Studies

If this is your….



2 nd Major


Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied toward…



No limits.

A grade of D- or above will receive credit. (Overall GPA=2.0+)

Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied toward…



No limits.


Total number of EAP Combined Upper and Lower Division Units



No limits.


Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement.



No limits for LD Language Credit. Limited for UD.

No more than 1 UD Advanced (beyond 2 nd yr instruction) African Language course may count towards minor.


Pre-EAP Process

Students should meet with an undergraduate advisor to develop a plan of study before leaving to study abroad. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the IDPS advisor by e-mail first.

An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

While on EAP

How should students contact the department while abroad?

- Students should email their department advisor.

What information does the department need if a student changes courses while abroad?

-Students should send an email describing the course they plan to switch to. They should also indicate what major/minor requirement their dropped course was fulfilling.

Post-EAP Process

Students should save all materials related to their coursework taken abroad (course descriptions, syllabi, textbook names and authors, essays, tests, etc.) and be prepared to show them to the UCLA IDPS advisor upon their return to UCLA.

Once the courses appear on the DPR, students can come in to see the advisor so the necessary substitutions can be made on the DPR. Preliminary approval may be given ahead of time, but substitutions can not be guaranteed.

IDPS Department Contact

Asiroh Cham
Undergraduate Advisor
10357 Bunche Hall
Telephone: (310) 825-5187
Department website:

To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser.