Applying to the International Migration Studies Minor

The International Migration Studies minor is designed for students who are seeking advanced work in the subject matter, and culminates in a research thesis of approximately 30 pages in length.

Admission to the International Migration Studies minor is by application and will be competitive, using courses, grades, grade‐point averages, and a personal statement as minimum standards for consideration.  The personal statement, which will be capped at 300 words, should address your interest in the International Migration Studies Minor, including how it might relate to your personal background, your present studies, and your future research interests. Students will also be asked to submit a writing sample, a 10-15 page research paper from any course in the humanities or social sciences (page count refers to text only and excludes title page, appendices, bibliography, etc.).

Applicants must be in good academic standing with an overall grade‐point average of 2.0 or better and demonstrate a genuine interest in the subject matter. Applicants are not automatically accepted into the minor and only a limited number of students are admitted each year. Applications must be submitted no later than Spring Quarter of the junior year.

The application period for the 2017-2018 International Migration Studies Cohort will be open during the following dates: 

****June 1 through June 15, 2017****
To access the application, please click HERE during those dates.

Note that students will be selected for the International Migration Studies minor during the Summer, and those who are admitted and have the minor declared on their records will be invited to enroll in I M Std 155, which will be offered in Fall Quarter, at that time. **All students who apply should, however, have a full study list for Fall term, and those who are admitted can then make necessary modifications to their schedule upon declaration of the minor.**


College of Letters & Science students: If you will have completed 150 units by the end of the Spring Quarter of your Junior Year, you must meet with your counseling unit (College Academic Counseling/College Honors/AAP/Athletics...check My.UCLA<Academics<Advising and Academic Services for your specific unit) to receive clearance to add the minor, should you be admitted. You are encouraged to do so **prior** to applying to the minor so that there is no delay in you being declared.

Students outside of the College of Letters & Science (SOAA, TFT, HSSEAS, HASOM, SON): Please be sure to discuss your desire to pursue the minor with your school advisor prior to submitting your application. Students who are accepted into the minor will also need to have an Undergraduate Program Change Petition form, available at, signed by the International Migration Studies advisor. Students must then submit the signed petition to their school, and once approved by the school, the minor will be declared on their records.

Published: Tuesday, February 14, 2017