Information for Incoming Students

Housing Options

For students seeking housing near UCLA’s campus, there are a number of options provided by the university and by independent housing offices. Incoming students who have recently accepted an offer of admission will be contacted directly by the university via e-mail with details about how to apply for university housing. In general, most graduate students seeking university housing near campus will be competitive for housing agreements in the Weyburn Apartments.

Weyburn Terrace Apartments

While university housing is not guaranteed, many students in the MA program are able to secure housing in the Weyburn Terrace Apartments next to campus. The Weyburn apartments are located right next to UCLA and are within walking distance of the main campus. In addition, a very convenient university bus route connects Weyburn to the university with shuttles arriving every few minutes.

Weyburn offers individual studio housing and housing for students seeking a roommate. Furnished and unfurnished housing options are both available. For detailed information about rates for Weyburn Terrace housing, please click here.

Parking is available for students who obtain housing in Weyburn Terrace. A parking permit for Weyburn may be applied for during the online application process.

Student housing is not managed by the MA program, however. As stated above, students who have recently committed to UCLA will be contacted by the university directly with information about how to apply for housing. To explore more UCLA housing information, including off-campus university housing options, please click here.

Non-University Housing Options

There are plenty of non-university housing options for incoming students. Craigslist is an excellent option for many students seeking housing near UCLA. Many UCLA students successfully find housing using websites such as Zuma Housing ,  Westside Rentals, Trulia  and Zillow.

The neighborhoods that are located in proximity to UCLA and have good bus connection to UCLA include:

  • Beverly Hills
  • Brentwood
  • Culver City
  • Mar Vista
  • Palms
  • Santa Monica
  • West Hollywood
  • West Los Angeles
  • Westwood

Parking options

A daily parking permit for on campus parking is $12.  

Students may also apply for quarterly parking permits, known as orange permits. Orange commuter permits are $231 each quarter. Commuter permits only secure parking at on-campus locations. Detailed information concerning parking permits including deadlines to apply may be found here.

Public Transportation

Students who find off-campus housing may also use the many convenient bus routes that connect UCLA to the greater LA area:

  • Students residing in Culver City and Palms will find the Culver City Bus very accessible.
  • Students residing in Santa Monica, Mar Vista, West Hollywood may easily commute to campus by using the Big Blue Bus.
  • Los Angeles County Metro (bus and rail) allows students to commute from many other areas of Los Angeles.
  • You can use Metro Trip Planner to find the best bus connection when traveling around Los Angeles.

The practicality of commuting to campus using city bus lines will be determined by the distance between the student’s housing and UCLA. While extremely affordable, some students may experience commutes of up to an hour in each direction to and from campus. Students are encouraged to consider all these factors while selecting appropriate housing.

Obtaining California Residency for Tuition Purposes

Out of state students can apply for California residency after completing their first year at UCLA. If approved, students will be able to pay the in-state tuition during their second or any subsequent year at UCLA. For more information, such as required documentation and deadlines to apply please visit the Registrar’s website.

Please note that this information does not apply to international students.

Published: Friday, May 20, 2016