CERS administers the Ernst Adolf Marum Fellowship program, which provides annual stipends of up to $15,000 for two to three UCLA entering or continuing graduate students in any field of study. Applicants must be German citizens and hold a bachelor’s degree from a German university. To receive the fellowship, entering students must first be admitted to a graduate or professional program at UCLA. Continuing UCLA graduate or professional school students must be in good academic standing in order to be eligible for the fellowship. Prospective fellows are selected on the basis of academic achievement, quality of proposed course of study, and strength of recommendations.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, March 10, 2019, 11:59 pm (PDT)
Online application system opens in November.
CERS begins notifying applicants of their status approximately eight (8) weeks after the application system has closed. Do not expect notification before early May.
HOW TO APPLY
All elements of the fellowship application, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted online by the advertised deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for funding. Any supporting documentation to be uploaded should be in DOC, DOCX, or PDF format, with the file extension appended.
Independently of UCLA Graduate Division and specific departmental or professional school admission requirements, applicants are required to submit the following supporting documentation directly to CERS through the online application portal (click "Apply Here" button below):
- Curriculum vitae (no more than three (3) pages of 12-point font text)
- Transcript(s): in case of multiple academic transcripts, submit as a single PDF document. Currently enrolled UCLA students should submit both their undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts.
Statement of purpose (no more than three (3) double-spaced pages of 12-point font text): outline the reasons for pursuing graduate work and any pertinent intellectual and career experiences and interests.
- Letters of recommendation: include two (2) letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with the applicant's written work and research or professional experience.
All recommendations must be submitted through the online application portal by the advertised deadline. The applicant will provide the names and contact information of the recommenders in the online application; once the application has been submitted, the recommenders will receive automated emails from the system, instructing them where and how to upload their recommendations. Applicants should therefore ensure that they submit the application well in advance of the advertised deadline, and that they have provided the correct contact information for the recommenders (bouncebacks from incorrectly-entered email addresses will not be registered, and CERS staff are unable to keep track of this and alert the applicant). Applicants should advise their recommenders to check their "spam" folders for automated messages from the system before contacting CERS for assistance with uploading the recommendations.
CERS strongly recommends that applicants prepare all the supporting documentation in advance, and complete the application in one sitting. However, the application system does allow applicants to save their work and return to make changes
during the application process at any time before the advertised deadline. Every screen of the application contains a "Save" button; clicking it generates an automated message from the system with instructions on how to return to the saved application. Please note
that “saving” the application is not the same as “submitting” it; only applications that have been formally submitted by clicking the "Submit" button will be considered for funding.
CLICK HERE for a completed sample application.
FELLOWSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All application materials must be submitted online by the advertised deadline. Any materials submitted in hard copy or via email will not be accepted or reviewed. Applicants or recommenders who encounter problems submitting materials through the online application site should get in touch with Technical Assistance directly at the contact below.
- Fellowship information and application procedures: Liana Grancea, CERS Executive Director, email@example.com or 310-825-8030.
- Technical assistance only with document upload or online application portal access: Nora Joswig, UCLA International Institute IT Special Projects Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
All other questions should be directed to Liana Grancea at above contact.