Burkle Center Call for Proposals
The Burkle Center is seeking proposals for Faculty Research Working Groups that address themes of global cooperation and conflict and international relations. Proposed themes must address a topic or topics related to international relations, U.S. foreign policy, and issues of global cooperation and conflict. Successful proposals will recieve up to $8,000. The deadline is Thursday, May 1, 2009.
Published: Thursday, March 13, 2008
Burkle Center Grants for Faculty Research Working Groups
The Burkle Center supports Faculty Research Working Groups in order to:
- Encourage faculty to define and develop themes related to the Burkle Centers mission;
- Organize forums that foster and sustain collaborative scholarly exchanges and promote interdisciplinary scholarship;
- Promote intellectual discourse among faculty and graduate students
The Burkle Center will fund proposals for working groups for the 2009-2010 academic year. Working groups can take various forms such as a series of roundtables, reading groups, speaker symposia or workshops centered on a theme. Proposed themes must address a topic or topics related to international relations, U.S. foreign policy, and issues of global cooperation and conflict.
Funding may be allotted, subject to UCLA policies, to cover travel expenses, light receptions, modest honoraria, and photocopying for reading materials. This list is suggestive not exhaustive. Equipment and faculty salaries will not be funded by this program.
Eligibility: Grants are open to teams that include at least one chair or co-chair who holds a ladder UCLA faculty appointment.
Award Amount: The Burkle Center will fund up to two proposals up to a maximum of $8000 each. Funds will be dispersed to successful applicants by September 1, 2009.
Applications are to be submitted to the Burkle Center for International Relations at UCLA via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on May 1, 2009.
The application should be no more than 5 pages and should include the following:
- Proposal Description that clearly identifies the substantive research theme of the group, the process by which the group will explore that theme and the goals and outcomes.
- Schedule of planned activities
- Identify Chair or Co-chairs of the Working Group and submit bio(s)
- List of three additional confirmed faculty participants from UCLA. Participants (including chairs) must be drawn from at least two different schools or departments at UCLA.
- Budget Proposal detailing amount requested and itemized budget and justification for how amount will be spent. Identify sources (confirmed and proposed) of outside funding.
Successfully funded proposal are subject to the following requirements.
- Projects awarded grants must acknowledge the Burkle Center as a co-sponsor in all programs, public information materials, and publications resulting from the grant.
- All Chairs are required to submit a final report describing the outcomes of the project and final financial expenditures by June 30, 2010.
- As of June 30, 2010, all outstanding funds will be remitted to the Burkle Center.
Please direct inquiries to the Burkle Center for International Relations at UCLA at email@example.com or 310-206-6365.
Download File: Call for Proposals.pdf