Information for Psychology Majors interested in studying abroad.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Where to go
Psychology students have a wide range of choices! Courses at over 32 universities around the world have been approved for UC credit in Psychology. We recommend that you use the following three special features to help you choose the right university:
- The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
- The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken by UC students.
- An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.
What classes to take
All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.
Courses are approved on a case by case basis and generally used for elective credit. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major or minor. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.
EAP Coursework Guidelines for Psychology Major/Minor
Note: the following guidelines are subject to change. Please see your major/minor advisor for up-to-date information.
EAP Unit Limits for Major
- Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied: 4 courses (max 16 units total)
Note: Most letter graded upper division psychology courses taken on EAP will automatically count as psychology electives. Any core course taken on EAP must be petitioned on a case by case basis with the Psychology department. Approvals for core courses are not guaranteed. Please meet with your Psychology counselor prior to EAP to determine what core courses may be appropriate to take abroad.
- An overall GPA of 2.00 (C) is required in the upper division courses. A grade of C- or better is required in each Core and Laboratory course. A grade of D- or better is required in Elective courses. All Core, Laboratory, and Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade.
EAP Information for Psychology Department Minors (Applied Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Science, and Gerontology)
- Minor students must petition for EAP courses to be applied towards the minor. All minor coursework must be taken for a letter grade. Please meet with your Psychology counselor prior to EAP to determine what courses may be appropriate to take abroad.