Visiting Scholars and Researchers Program Information
Each year, the UCLA Center for Korean Studies welcomes scholars from universities and institutions throughout the world, who are drawn to UCLA for its dynamic research environment.
Published: Tuesday, February 22, 2011
These visitors include academics, scholars, and senior government officials, representing every discipline of Korean Studies. These visitors provide a valuable resource for the Center's faculty and graduate students, as well as the Los Angeles community as a whole, and enhance UCLA's coverage in Korean Studies. The Center for Korean Studies provides limited administrative assistance to visiting scholars and helps scholars with access to UCLA's library and research facilities. Because of severe space limitations throughout the university, the Center is unfortunately unable to provide private office space to visiting scholars.
Costs: The Center for Korean Studies charges a small administrative fee to defray the costs of running its visiting scholar program. The current charge is $3,000 for academics and $8,000 for non-academics per year. An application fee of $500 must be paid by credit card upon submission of the online application to cover the costs of processing the visiting-scholar application.
This application fee is non-refundable, even if the scholar is ultimately unable to visit UCLA, or if the Center is unable to accept or accommodate the applicant.
Visiting Scholar Application Procedures
All applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Advisory Committee of the Center for Korean Studies.
Please note that submitting an application is not a guarantee of acceptance.
- Ph.D., or equivalent evidence of professional achievement, by the time the appointment would begin.
- Preference is given to scholars from institutions with which UCLA has signed academic-exchange agreements and to scholars who are personally recommended by UCLA faculty in Korean Studies.
- A UCLA faculty member's consent to serve as the university sponsor for the applicant during his or her stay at UCLA.
- Due to space and administrative limitations, there is an annual quota on the number of visiting scholars who may be invited by the Center. The Center may not be able to accommodate all qualified candidates who apply in any one year.
All applications for the Visitng Scholars Program must be submitted online.
Applicants will be required to submit information and supplementary materials as listed below in either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF:
- A curriculum vitae or professional resume.
- A proposal (no more than 1 page double-spaced), outlining the research that will be undertaken while in residence at the Center.
- A photocopy of passport clearly showing picture, number and expiration date.
- A letter of recommendation from a scholar with expertise in the area of the applicant's intended research (required only for non-academic applicants).
- A certified statement of financial support from the applicant's place of employment or financial institution. (Affidavit of Support)
An insurance policy for health, accident, medical evaluation, and repatriation of remains which provides coverage for the visiting scholar and all dependents.
The insurance policy must provide the following coverage
a. $100,000 per accident/illness in medical coverage
b. An annual deductible of no more than $250
c. Coinsurance that does not exceed 25%
d. Medical evacuation up to $10,000
e. Repatriation up to $7500
Please note: Documentation of insurance is not required on the application. However, if accepted, scholars will be required to show proof of insurance upon arrival.
For more information about the health insurance requirement, please see the "Health Insurance" section on the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars J-1 Visa Information website.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $500, to defray the administrative costs of processing and evaluating the application.
Please note that submitting an application is not a guarantee of acceptance. All applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Advisory Committee of the Center for Korean Studies.
***Please be aware that the Center is accepting limited number of Visiting Scholars every year.***
Please contact the Center before you initiate the online application process in order to see if we are still accepting applications for the current year. If you submit your application without contacting the Center prior to submission, your application may not be considered for review. Also, please be advised that the application fee is non-refundable.
Submit your applications early. It takes about four months to process your application. When applying, please take into consideration the time that it will take to make all the necessary arrangements before arriving in LA.
Submit your application with all the required forms and materials. Incomplete or incorrect applications can significantly delay your appointment. Thus, you should make sure that the application is complete and correct before submission.
For questions related to application procedures for visiting scholars, please contact the Program Assistant at the Center for Korean Studies. Tel: (310) 825-3284, fax: (310) 206-3555, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org