Skip Navigation

Economics - International Area Studies

Information for Economics - International Area Studies majors planning on studying abroad.

Where to go

EAP students may take economics courses in over 30 countries, at more than 90 universities. The UC Education Abroad Program offers three special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.
  • An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major department has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.

Courses are approved on a case by case basis and generally used for elective credit. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward the major. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

EAP Coursework Guidelines for Economics - International Area Studies Major

Note: the following guidelines are subject to change. Please see your major/minor advisor for up-to-date information.


EAP Unit Limits for Major

  • Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied: 2 Economics Electives, 3 Social Science Electives. Each course must transfer back to UCLA as a minimum of 4 Upper Division units.  
  • Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied: No limit; although certain pre-major courses must be completed at UCLA.
  • Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement: Students may take language courses for the major but must take placement test at UCLA to show level to proficiency

Grade Requirements

  • Upper Division: A grade of C- or above will receive credit.
  • Lower Division: A grade of C or above will receive credit

Economics Department Contact

Julie Plotkin
Undergraduate Advisor
Office: Bunche Hall 2263B
Telephone: (310) 825-5118
Department website

Education Abroad Program