Information about going abroad for Sociology majors.
Published: Monday, August 27, 2007
Where to go
Sociology students have a wide range of choices! Courses at over 45 universities around the world have been approved for UC credit in Sociology. We recommend that you use the following features to help you choose the right university:
- The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
- The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those previously taken by an EAP student.
What classes to take
All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.
Courses are approved on a case by case basis and generally used for elective credit. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.
Pre-approved EAP course lists for Sociology
Note: These are not comprehensive lists. Other courses may be approved for Sociology credit.
EAP Unit Limits for Major
- Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied: 4 Sociology electives and 4 Allied Field electives. Courses must be at least 4 units each.
- Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied: Please see counselor regarding major requirements.
- Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement: N/A
- Upper Division: A grade of C- or above will receive credit.
- Lower Division: A grade of C or above will receive credit.