Characteristics of a Civilization
A Group Project Abroad (GPA) by Jenny Chung
Published: Monday, October 25, 2010
Topic: Characteristics of a Civilization
Subject: Social Studies
Duration of Lesson: 80-90 minutes
Grade Level: 7 (introductory) and 8 (review)
- 7th grade—This is an introductory lesson for a unit on geography of the Arabian Peninsula and Islam. This will connect with previous study of classical civilizations (Greece and Rome).
- 8th grade—Transitioning from Medieval Europe to the Renaissance, this lesson will be a review of Islam for 8th grade students
• Students will be able to define a civilization.
• Students will review key terms pertaining to the characteristics of a civilization.
• Students will understand the difference between a primary and secondary source.