Varieties of Anti-Semitism
Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Pearl Memorial Lecturer and commentator on contemporary thought, politics and culture
Published: Wednesday, March 03, 2010
In this podcast, listen to a full audio recording of the 8th Annual Daniel Pearl Memorial Lecture. In order of appearance:
- Welcome by UCLA Burkle Center for International Relations Director, Kal Rausitala (end 1:48)
- Brief Remarks by Yitzhak Rabin Hillel Center for Jewish Life at UCLA's Rabbi Chaim Seidler-Feller (end 5:30)
- Words of Rememberence by Daniel Pearl Foundation President Judea Pearl (end 10:05)
- Campus Welcome and Introduction of Eric Garcetti by UCLA Vice Provost Scott Waugh (end 13:56)
- Introduction of Christopher Hitchens by Los Angeles City Council President Eric Garcetti (end 19.23)
- Lecture by Christopher Hitchens on "Variesties of Anti-Semitism" (begin 20:01)
- Audience Q&A with Christopher Hitchens
About the Speaker:
Christopher Hitchens is one of the English-speaking world's best-known commentators on contemporary thought, politics and culture. In the four decades since he earned his honors degree in philosophy, politics and economics from Cambridge and Balliol College, Oxford, he has written well over a dozen books, corresponded from more than 60 countries, and contributed prolifically to English and American publications. He emigrated from England in 1981 and was naturalized as a U.S. citizen in 2007. Currently, he contributes regularly or frequently to The New York Review of Books, The London Review of Books, The New York Times Book Review, The Washington Post Book World, The Times Literary Supplement, The Los Angeles Times Book Review, National Review, Dissent, Free Inquiry, New Left Review, and The Atlantic Monthly. Among numerous honors for his reporting and the literary quality of his prose, Hitchens took a National Magazine Award and was a finalist for a National Book Award, both in 2007. His essays have been collected in four volumes. Hitchens is also a regular television and radio commentator.
TRANSCRIPT: To read a transcript click here.