This week in Central Asia Workshop we will discuss how to integrate Central Asian topics into the classroom.
We will be reviewing various Central Asia syllabi, in order to consider the following issues:
1. How to tie Central Asian topics into survey courses or intro "disciplinary" courses (e.g. intro to Anthropology, intro to literary studies)?
2. Central Asia in "special topic" interdisciplinary courses, e.g. History/Literature of the Islamic World, Global Development Studies, Water and the World.
3. How to tie Central Asia to other regions in area studies courses, e.g. Soviet Culture & Civilization, East Asian Studies, the Islamic World, South Asian Studies?
4. Pedagogy: What types of assignments are effective? How to integrate Central Asia courses into intro Freshman seminars, or "writing across the curriculum" programs; uses of technology; how to balance lecture/discussion; how to direct student research.
5. Class policies: attendance, participation, late assignments, grading, fair use of copyrighted materials (for course packets, digital materials).