When hiring a new employee the first step is always contacting Tara Wake. She will help determine the job title, pay-rate, and arrange for job postings.
Next, please print and fill out the ISOP Hire Authorization form. (For a Word version, click here)
Things to know about filling out a ISOP Hire Authorization Form:
- This form should be filled out when hiring a new employee. It is also to be used when changing the accounting information, appointment end dates, appointment percentage, title codes and pay rates of current employees.
On the form, please make sure you have filled out:
- The employee name and the employee id number (there are many UCLA employees with the same name and this will ensure that we are hiring the correct person).
When hiring a non-student employee who is new to UCLA, you may leave the id number and ssn blank.
- We also need the payroll title and pay rate you have selected for this employee. If you need assistance in choosing an appropriate title and rate please talk to Tara Wake.
- You will need to fill in the full accounting information regarding the fund source from which your employee will be paid. This includes the account number, cost center, fund number, project code, and sub. If you do not know this information, please contact the manager from your affiliated center.
- Next, please fill in the percentage of time or how many hours per week the employee will be working and if the employee is to be paid biweekly or monthly. For employees paid on sub 0 or sub 1, the employee must be paid monthly. For employees with concurrent appointments in other departments, the pay cycles must be the same.
- Please indicate the appointment begin and end dates. This is how long you anticipate that the employee will be working. If changes occur and you will need the employee beyond the anticipated date, please resubmit the hire authorization form with the new end date. For hiring new career employees you may leave the end date blank.
- Please provide a brief description of duties for all positions. This is especially important for work-study positions as this will be used for posting work-study job advertisements.
- The additional comments section can be used for listing certain job qualifications needed for that particular position, or any special instructions for ISOP Personnel.
- The bottom half of the hire authorization form is specifically for hiring GSR's, TA's, Readers, and Work-Study students and should be filled out in addition to the top half.
- For GSR's, TA's and Readers, please indicate the number of units the student is enrolled in or plans to enroll. This will determine if he/she qualifies for fee remissions. (For fee remission guidelines please refer to the graduate division link.)
- For work-study positions please indicate whether you would like to have the job advertised on the work-study website. If you do not have a pre-selected student, you may leave the name, id number and ssn number blank on the top half of the hire authorization.
- Please fill in the phone extension, room number, and building name of the person hiring the work-study student. This is information is required by the Work-Study Office for all positions.
- Also, please indicate the approximate number of hours per week you will need the student to work and how many quarters within the academic year the position will be needed. For more information on hiring work-study students please click here.
For further inquiries, please contact:
Staff Personnel and Payroll Manager
International Studies & Overseas Programs
11250 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487
Campus mailcode: 148703