Description: The research team works directly under CMED director Prof. Steven Spiegel to generate research for his publications, speeches, and other work. The team consists of upwards up 8 members who meet on a weekly basis to present their findings and receive new assignments. New members are typically accepted at the beginning of each quarter (including summer).
Sample Research Topics:
Students are often asked to fact check, retrieve recent news, find statistics, compile quotes about an issue from policymakers, and other tasks. Assignments often cover:
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Iran-US-Israel Relations
- Weekly news reports on a country, topic, or sub-region of the Middle East
- US-Israeli Relations
- Attend weekly meetings and complete 4-6 hours of research per week
- Superior editing, writing and research skills; prior research experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to deadlines
- Interest in the Middle East, US Foreign Policy, and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- All majors accepted
Applying: Submit a resume and writing sample to Cody Saleh at csaleh[at]international.ucla.edu with the subject line "Research Team Application”. The writing sample should demonstrate your ability to research, synthesize, and analyze information. Be sure to mention language proficiency (especially written) in Arabic, Hebrew, and/or Persian.