Welcome to the International Institute
UCLA's Bridge to the World
The UCLA International Institute is an innovator where teaching, research and engagement converge to create global leaders, citizens and problem-solvers.
The International Institute is UCLA's bridge to the world, comprising close to 30 interdisciplinary centers and degree programs that are dedicated to the study and exploration of world regions and global issues.
This connection is cultivated through our area studies and thematic degree programs at undergraduate and graduate levels, education abroad opportunities, language instruction, cutting-edge research, interdisciplinary conferences, public events and teacher-training initiatives. UCLA attracts hundreds of visiting international dignitaries and leaders each year, and is actively fostering new and existing partnerships with institutions all over the world.
In addition, Vice Provost Cindy Fan has created a number of initiatives to further expand UCLA's global reach.
At the UCLA International Institute, we're committed to bringing people together to share ideas, to communicate more effectively, to look at issues from different perspectives and to shed light on the stories and circumstances that are shaping people here and abroad.
Facts and Figures
- Some 400 affiliated faculty spanning all disciplines
- 10 graduate and undergraduate degree programs
- More than 450 undergraduate degree recipients in 2012
- Close to 30 graduate degree recipients in 2012
- More than 75 grants and fellowships totaling more than $5 million annually
- More than 250 study abroad options in 35 countries
- Five federally funded Title VI National Resource Centers, which support teacher training programs and language studies (Latin American Institute, Center for Near Eastern Studies, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Center for European and Eurasian Studies, and the Asia Institute)
- One federally funded Language Resource Center (LRC), the only one of its kind in the U.S. (National Heritage Language Resource Center)
- Awards over $2,000,000 annually in student fellowships and scholarships
- Distributed $526,000 for faculty and center research grants over the past five years
- Sponsors and organizes more than 500 free public events annually
- Hosts about 800 visiting international dignitaries and professional leaders annually
- Manages more than 300 active agreements with universities and institutions in 45 countries
- Among American colleges and universities, UCLA has the 4th highest number of students who study abroad (2,610 participating in 2010-2011)
- UCLA is the 6th most popular American college or university for international students, with 6,249 international students enrolled at UCLA in 2010-2011